Thursday 29 September 2011

Sorority Girl

SORORITY GIRL
And Festival Twenty-One completed






So almost three weeks after my birthday (yes I know it's been far too long since I wrote in this mum), I'm finally posting up what happened on Day Two and Three - so my actual birthday and the rest of the weekend. And then I'll let you all in on a little bit about being a sorority girl. I bet no one ever really saw that coming. 

The day really started with Cupcakes from Sugarland. Fiona had gone to buy them, citing that it was impossible to have a birthday without cake of some kind and all of these were so beautiful!!! Because it was a Game-weekend (football was going on behind us as we curled in the grass outside Rams Head) she even managed to get little Ramses that you can see in the bottom right corner - I think we all too a photo with him because he's just that cute. Ramses is the Tar Heel mascot for those not in the know. Then Andrea reveals this amazing card that's full of little mini cards and all them: Alex, John, Fiona and Andrea had signed it. It was so unbelievably cute. And then it turned out they were even more wonderful and had bought me these adorable necklaces that I'd been eyeing in the shop window one night weeks ago. One is a gorgeous little bird in a silver cage and the other is a beautiful collection of bronze items dangling from a tarnished-bronze chain that trails down to a wonderful little watch. They're so perfect and lovely and it was such complete surprise. Not to sound totally cliched and gushy but it made me realise just how lucky I am to have met the people I have. Even though I'm sure that only under these circumstances could we ever have met and been friends in some ways, I'm so so so  glad that it's these characters that I'm here with. 

Anyway, the day moved from all the sappiness to quite the opposite in no time. Having gone and bought a bottle of Everclear (that horrible 90% alcohol I mentioned before) and a bottle of vodka, and after having a hilarious Mexican dinner at Chipotle with the Brits and the Sweeties (plus Keiver) - we headed to the famous house on Pritchard. We then mixed these two horrible spirits into a bucket together, added lemonade and a wee bit of water to make it less sweet and presented the table with red cups. 

Of course, I'm there, sort of knowing what's coming but more than a little bit nervous, and more than that I'm also concerned that no one will come!!! I mean, how many people at this point did I really know to invite to this thing??? I shouldn't have worried - after all this is America and they love their house parties - and it was amazing to meet some awesome new people as well as have a great time with the wonderful friends. About an hour or so later, as things begin to heat up, I'm presented with this:


A Giant Scottish Flag necklace, complete with twinkling fairy lights and twenty-one tasks to complete by the end of the night. The brilliant creators of this 21st Challenge?? None other than the beautiful Lillie and the fantastic Emma, who made sure that I had EVERYTHING ticked off by the end of the night.

And that's saying something.

I had to everything from play beer pong to kissing a fresher, from getting a photo with a policeman to taking 21photos with strangers, singing everything I wanted to say for 20minutes and singing the English national anthem (yes with a Scots flag on my chest) on the corner of Franklin St. Photos can be found on facebook for those who really want to see some embarrassing happening. And we played Cher Lloyd about six times in the one night. I think I gave Andrea a lap dance (I promise that was on the list)!!!

Of course, there was the little fact that I was krunk enough to actually DO all of this, which probably explained the near week long hangover effect. It was so much fun though, definitely one of the best weekends I can ever claim to have had anywhere. Brunch the next day only topped it off: with the five of us plus Russell and Rebecca, Lillie, Emma and TJ - it was such a good crowd - and we must have eaten enough to have supplied a third world country for a week. SO MUCH FOOD. And so good too!!!

*

Moving onto the SORORITY thing though. Oh my god. My first thought on Bid Day was WTF am I doing?! 


I mean, did you ever imagine me doing something quite like this before??? I suppose the shock was partly because, in my head, I still saw this all as an episode of Greek where any minute I was going to be put in the back of a van and dropped off in the middle of nowhere in my under  where and told to get home. That never happened and I'm now pretty much convinced that it was one of the best decisions of my time here so far. Everyone I've met has been so lovely and friendly and it's great to now have dozens of girls all over campus to run into and say 'hi' to. It helps that the food is amazing too and that Lunch time is possibly the best part of the day!! 

As I said the other day: ADPi is the chai in my latte. Literally. They have chai-cream to add to your coffee if you so desire. It's amazing. 

Here is my (slightly depleted 'family' - insert Rebecca Hart here) >>>>>>>


Not everything is sunshine though - actually I mean that literally too - the last couple of weeks have been characterised by heavy clouds and humidity, we even had a few days where we felt the need to wear jeans and jumpers!! What's amazing is the RAIN though. It's like someone stabbed the sky and the ocean fell out of it. I went to see Fleet Foxes the other night and we were so excited (Daniel the RA, me and Laura, my BIG), especially as we left the torrential downpour in Chapel Hill and then just as the warm-up band began to close up, the clouds were wrenched open it was like being in a monsoon. It took minutes for us to be soaked, not much longer for our drinks to be sufficiently diluted to taste like rain and just a little bit longer for us to ditch our shoes as the flood turned the amphitheatre's slope into a waterfall. Even though the gig was called off half-way through because the lightening mucked up the PA, it was so much fun and the three of us had a great time.

So that's what happened. I didn't write before because, well at first I was nursing the birthday-hangover well into the following week, but to be fair with so much going on it's been hard to find time to write. That and, as you imagine with midterm exams and essays, things have been a bit more difficult as of late but since I didn't want to write anything negative or necessarily dramatic, I decided to wait and see how things resolved first. And they have (all except the big BOY problem) but still - I'm an essay and a midterm down, only five more to go right? As for what's happening now? Well if only I could figure out why guys here play 'the Game' and how to tell when they are....? Yeah that would sort me right out lol!!! And maybe writing this essay before the deadline on Monday. 
Anyway, it's not long until Fall Break now which is when my beautiful wee sister will be coming to visit and I think I'm also going to try and go to DC before she gets here. 

Je serai poète et toi poésie, 
SCRIBBLER

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scribble Back